- Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Sara Speaks

Brain and Anna move back home that night. We both tuck her in; we both kiss her. Brain goes to take a shower. In a little while, I will go to the hospital, but right now I sit down across from Anna, on Kate's bed. "Are you going to lecture me?" she asks.

"Not the way you think." I finger the edge of one of Kate's pillows. "You're not a bad person because you want to be yourself."

"I never -"

I hold up a hand. "What I mean is that those thoughts, they're human. And just because you turn out differently than everyone's imagined you would doesn't mean that you've failed in some way. A kid who gets teased in one school might move to a different one, and be the most popular girl there, just because no one has any other expectations of her. Or a person who goes to med school because his entire family is full of doctors might find out that what he really wants to be is an artist instead." I take a deep breath, and shake my head. "Am I making any sense?"

"Not really."

That makes me smile. "I guess I'm saying that you remind me of someone."

Anna comes up on an elbow. "Who?"

"Me," I say.

- JODI PICOULT, 'My Sister's Keeper"
page 342-343


Jottings:
Does it mean that expectations make a person fail seemingly? Or succeed, in other words. Does it mean expectations form (or determine, if you would put it that way) a person's 'outlook', for good or for bad?

Whatever the answer, I still love this part of the book.

No comments: