- Friday, June 01, 2007

The Alchemist

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
How can I forget to speak of this magnificent book? Magnificent - simplicity rules, if any of you could remember my previous blog's theme. Yes, simplicity. That is what this book is about, literature speaking.

The Alchemist is a fable about following one's dreams. Though to many, the word 'fable' might sound like a fairy tale, yet it shouldn't be a hindrance to you - you who think fable is a fairy tale - to discover the wonder of this simple book.

Wonder. What I said. Wonder.

I am amazed at how Coelho pulled the events together and constantly joined the present, future and past so beautifully. His story flowed well, and the words he used were simple that even a kid can understand. But comprehending the outburst of the words is, of course, another matter all together.

Anyway, I love the way Coelho talked of the boy's thoughts and the emotions Santiago (the boy) went through. Simple, yet powerful.

(Ala! So long-winded)

And most of all, I love - adore - the prologue. I couldn't help but shake my head after finishing the prologue which only consisted of one and a half page.

GOSH!

Buy it. Read it. Understand it. It's definitely worth to be placed in your personal library - yes, I am beginning to 'construct' my own library.

p/s: I want J. R. R. Tolkien's [and editted by Christopher Tolkien] Children of Hurin!!! I want I want I want. But it is 80 bucks! From where can I get the money?

No comments: