- Thursday, November 08, 2007

Betterment

I remember when I was still in my home-schooling years, I had two friends whom I competed with. Although no spoken word of competition was uttered, the tension of competition was very obvious. We had, back then, only five subjects - Language Arts, History and Geography, Mathematics, Bible, and Science - and we would silently try to do up our work as fast as possible. Of course, the teacher knew what we were doing and often used assignments to slow us down; he wanted to make sure we learn our work well too.

Then, as I look at my primary school friends who were finishing their form 5 studies soon, and would begin their college or form 6 life, I told myself that I wouldn't lose to them. So I pressed on, pushing myself. At last, I made it.

Of course, I only beat one friend; I lost to the other who went to HELP before I finished my studies.

Here, I am in college, and I see many potential people (not for competition) but for betterment. In this semester, I've learned a lot: procrastination meant low performance, being quick to judging a person is foolish, and many more.

Academically, I am still trying to adjust to the lecturing style. Home-schooling methods do not have teachers spoon-feeding students or teaching students with a chalk and a board; we learn independently.

Exams is pretty soon. I do not know if I can do well, but just as I always say it: screw it. Everything is part of experience, after all.


A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable,
but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw.

No comments: