- Thursday, September 17, 2009

Of Writing



I write because I want to, but seldom do I sit back and ask myself, "Why do I want to write?" Is it because I find release there? Or that I get to make up stories to "confuse" people (which is what I do every time)?

Perhaps it's the many things I get to do with writing, although my writing is far from good.

I get to tell stories. I get to lie about everything in my stories, and still have people believe me. I get to tell people that I am in love with two girls and had sex with a guy and climbed the highest mountains on one leg and so many more.

I get to insert little details about me. I've once been told that my stories had parts and pieces of me -- and that was only because the person kinda knows me.

I get to write about reality as it is. I get to be honest. I get to be descriptive.

Although sometimes it may be very frustrating when I do not know how to effectively pen down my emotions and thoughts, I suppose it's another learning point for me. =)

Crystal wrote about how she feels so alive when she writes. For me, I feel so relieved when I write. And sometimes, after finishing an assignment, I feel accomplished because unlike many great authors out there, each word is jotted with thought and effort.

So yes, I write because I want to. Because there's this thing about writing that is so... therapeutic.

Don't worry. I'm not going insane.

6 comments:

ah^kam_koko' said...

I think we're quite similar in our love for writing.
I find great release in writing something funny or positive about something that really erks me.
It helps me cope with life & I enjoy reading what my friends have to say about my work.

If only my students had the same passion...
hehehe~~

hjx said...

Haha, it reminds me that I used to write stories instead of journals like I do now. Perhaps I felt more comfortable writing feelings of a fictional character (which is, please-la, definitely my own feelings) in great detail. Lol. Those days.

I wonder how it feels like being able to write well ;)

Jeannette Goon said...

Like the comment I left on Crys' blog, if I were to get a tattoo, it would be the word "hypergraphia" in Elvish.

I write because I must. I can't help it. Sometimes I just write the word running through my head over and over again. Rain. Rain. Rain.

I'm not insane either. Hehe...

Crystal said...

"And sometimes, after finishing an assignment, I feel accomplished because unlike many great authors out there, each word is jotted with thought and effort."

I don't think great authors find it easy to write either. I realized this a long time ago when I was searching for writing quotes like the ones below:

There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. ~Gene Fowler

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket. ~Charles Peguy

Easy reading is damn hard writing. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

And no, despite what Graycie Harmon says, ("Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.") we're not insane.

We are merely drunk on writing so that reality cannot destroy us. :P

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury

And oh, what a blissful, blessed state to be in. :)

But actually, I don't really mind being called insane. I have an excerpt from The Zahir I want to post up about this insanity. Will do it when I feel like it. :P

Jeannette Goon said...

I don't mind being called insane or crazy. But when it is implied, it drives me nuts. I hate it when it is implied that I am crazy.

Jeannette Goon said...

And yeah, good writing is hard. It involves actually sitting down and finishing something. And then reworking that thing that you've just spent hours on and probably ending up cutting about half of the original out. And then after you've done that, doing it again.