- Monday, December 14, 2009

This is what we're capable of doing?




I mean judging.

It's not new to hear statements about how we ought not to judge, but to hear an outsider saying somewhat along the lines of "All Christians are capable of is judging" isn't entirely a very nice thing to hear. It's true, but that does not make it any nicer to hear.

It's true that we are judgmental beings, especially Christians, may I add. We are given a standard by which we ought to follow, a character like whom we ought to live our lives like - but have we any success? Granted, we add positivism in ounces and never seem to grow bored of doing so; but how well have we fared?

I wonder.

Just at the look of people, we go, "The Bible says it ain't good to swear, so you shouldn't swear." Are we implying that by swearing, you are no good; or by swearing, you are not up to the standard that has been set forth - isn't that judgmental? Are we up to the standard?

So who are we to judge?

Long ago, I used to judge those who swear. I used to say that those who swear have limited vocabulary, but now I do so no more. Put aside the fact that I've been swearing quite a bit especially in times of extreme stress (yes, I can take quite an amount of stress), but what do I get when I judge? What do we get when we judge?

When we deem others unfit, not up to the standard we wholly believe in, we slash that person's name off the list of acceptance. We respect not that person, and think that the person is ________ (insert your adjective).

And when the Golden Rule comes into play, we growl and moan and say that others are being mean (in colloquial language) or unforgiving. Simply put, we want others to be who we want them to be but we want us to be who want us to be. To us, there is no way around that rule of ours.

Let us trace back where the fault is: Is it with us who expect or with others?

The thing is, as much as we disagree, all of us have the same mentality - we want us to be treated with much specialty. I remember a friend telling me, "I'm sorry, but it's a dog eat dog world" when trying to persuade me to do something (which I refuse to disclose here). Thinking about it objectively, yes, it is indeed a dog eat dog world. But in retrospect, maybe because all of us think so, that is why we are slow to being understanding and quick to judging.

So again, whose fault is it?

Go on, say it. It's safe to say that it's all of our fault because we think the same way.

So is it time to change?

No comments: