- Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"I believe life is made up of moments...



Don't know much about your life
Don't know much about your world but
Don't wanna be alone tonight
On this planet they call Earth

You don't know about my past and
I don't have a future figured out
And maybe this is goin' too fast
And maybe it's not meant to last

"We are like clay molded by moments. And that whole process of molding is called life."

She smiled and shot into a run. In her sun dress and fine silver slippers, she ran across the wide field, leaving me behind, in awe of her innocent beauty. She turned around, her hair twirling as she moved.

"Who said it's going to be an easy journey? Not even the most philosophical person! Who said it'll easy for clay to be molded? Haven't you asked yourself if the clay ever felt pain when the potter molds it?" She shouted across the field.

But what do you say to takin' chances?
What do you say to jumpin' off the edge?
Never knowin' if there's solid ground below
Or a hand to hold or hell to pay
What do you say? What do you say?

I stood there. Taking the entire view in. She, her dress, her hair, the sunlight, the greenery... "If only it was easy!" I shouted back. "If only life was easy!"

"Questions that begin with 'if only' won't bring you anywhere, Jon! It's questions that begin with 'what if' -- those are the questions that will cause you to soar!"

I just wanna start again
And maybe you could show me how to try
Maybe you could take me in
Somewhere underneath your skin

"I want to relive my life, you see! I want to rid myself of all those regrets! I hate where I am right now, I hate being so crippled by my past!"

"Everyone has a past! The only difference is that they make a conscious choice to accept their past, be okay with making mistakes and move on!"

She turned around and continued running.

"Where are you going?" I hollered. "You're going too far!"

She paused, turned around, "I'm living this moment. Won't you drop your yesterdays and live now?" She continued running.

What was I thinking? What am I going to do? Why am I alone standing here, thinking to myself about my yesterdays? Does my past matter? Does it matter more than my present which will shape my future? How long more do I want to be stuck justifying my past, condemning myself, telling myself that I am not good enough, that I could have done better? How long more do I want to choose to beat myself up when I can spend the time working on bettering myself right now?

No more. I will choose to treasure the now. I will choose to make good use of the time I have with me right now, lest I end up regretting and beating myself up about today in the near future.

I will choose to defy gravity now.

I ran after her.

What do you say to takin' chances?
What do you say to jumpin' off the edge?
Never knowin' if there's solid ground below
Or a hand to hold or hell to pay
What do you say? What do you say?

"Where are you!" I hollered as I run.

"Don't look for me by shouting! You'll cloud your judgments." Her voice shouted back but I see her not. "Feel me. Believe that you'll find me, set your intentions to find me, and you will."

I ran and ran and ran. It was no more a wide field; I was now running through the forest. Soon I realized I knew not where I was headed to. It felt like when I was a teenager. So lost, so uncertain about myself and my future. What was I looking for again? Why did it matter?

Finding my answer, I looked around and for the first time, I listened to my gut. There, it said and I sprung off.

Hey now, hey, my heart is beatin' down
But I'm always comin' back for more, yeah
There's nothin' like love to pull you up
When you're lyin' down on the floor, babe

So talk to me, talk to me like lovers do
Yeah, walk with me, walk with me like lovers do
Like lovers do

Running with refreshed purpose, I headed towards the darker side of the forest where tall trees blocked the sunlight. What do I do? Do I plunge into the unknown? I shouldn't have listened to my gut. I should've just ran towards where I thought would be right. But I've already made it this far, why do I want to back track?

Tentatively, I took a few more steps.

"What's holding you back?" I heard her voice. "What's telling you to worry and recalculate your bearings? Has life ever been mathematics with formulas and right solutions? Has living ever been that? What's stopping you from going a hundred percent?"

Me. My need to be right. Because when I am right, people will look up to me and praise me. If I screw things up like the past...

"Who's talking about your past? Move on. Who cares about your past? Who remembers it?"

I...

"Only you remember about your mistakes! Everyone else is too busy worrying about his or her mistakes; they don't have time to laugh at yours!"

I stood there, baffled. What do I say? What is the right thing to say?

"Again, you're thinking about what is right. If you're always worried about being right, you'll never succeed because people who do the right things are boring. Look at the leaders of the century. Have they done anything right?


I had enough. Enough of all these confrontations. Enough of honesty. I can't stand them.

"What are you waiting for, Jon? What's stopping you from taking that plunge?"

I burst into a run. And suddenly found myself running out of the dark forest. Light shone onto my face, and there I saw the end of the road. I forced myself to stop running.

Then appearing out of nowhere, she held my hand and smiled. "Nice to see you again. I see that you've taken a chance and found yourself here."

She took a step forward.

"Wait, where are you going?" I asked her. My heart beating fast, worries exploding throughout my mind. "What are you doing? It's a cliff. You're going to fall --"

"I know. But

"What to you say to takin' chances?
"What do you say to jumpin' off the edge?
"Never knowin' if there's solid ground below
"Or a hand to hold or hell to pay
"What do you say? What do you say?"

"I say you're crazy. You're --"

"I say you're scared." She looked me in the eye and spat it at my face in all honesty. "I say you'd rather be boring like everyone else. I say you'd rather dwell in pain than be awesome. I say you'd rather take the easier way out because you're scared of being great. You fantasize about how awesome you want to be, but when it comes to taking the plunge, you say 'Don't be stupid.' Again, you're stuck with doing the right things."

"This is not a joke, Denil. This is not a joke at all. You could die!"

"But I could live too. Who's to say what is and what is not? Sometimes the best moments in our lives are moments when we take the plunge without hesitating, without worrying about how others view us, without the need to be right. What is more important to you -- to be right or soar? You can only have one at a time."

I fell silent. I didn't know the answer. Why don't I know the answer? Was it because I was doing what she said -- looking for the right answer? Ah, screw it.

I looked up. "To soar. That's what I want." I said with certainty.

She smiled. "Great to have you on board." She grabbed my hand and together we ran. Off we jumped from the cliff, spread our hands as if we were flying. The cold air rushing against our face.

Free fall.

"When you take the leap, you'll fall. But you'll fall with pride. And who knows, you might just end up at a better place." She shouted.

Freedom.

Don't know much about your life
And I don't know much about your world

Dear you,

I don't know about you. I don't know anything about your life. I don't know anything about your world. But have you been finding right answers for too long?

Is it that bad to be wrong? So what if it's wrong? What's the worst that could happen?

It's not about the past. It's not about what have you done before. It's about what can you do now to make this moment worth remembering.

What do you say to takin' chances?
What do you say to jumpin' off the edge?
Never knowin' if there's solid ground below
Or a hand to hold or hell to pay
What do you say? What do you say?

Love,
Me.

Taking Chances
Lea Michelle
Glee

No comments: