- Tuesday, November 01, 2011

What's the Use of Knowing the Future?



I used to wonder how pleasant it'll be if I knew the future. Like if I knew how my life would be, what choices I should take, and so forth. But here's the thing : so what if you knew the answers to your future? What if you knew what would happen?

Well, I would be able to not make the stupid mistakes I will in the future. I would be able to make the right choices and be who I am supposed to be, do the things I'm supposed to do. But then is that really so?

We are who we are not because of the successes or accomplishments we have made, but the failures. There is not much to learn from success, but much from failure. Don't you think?

Here's another thing to consider : everything in life happens thanks to the "domino" effect. One thing will cause another to happen; one mistake will cause growth to occur. So if I knew what happens in the future and decide not to let my future mistake happen, will I still become that person I am destined to eventually become? I think not.

So what's the use of knowing the future? Wouldn't it be wiser to spend the time on living the present instead of worrying about the future?

3 comments:

Lawrence said...

Knowing the future would be very scary.. like if u see the future and noticed u get really bad results.. That would certainly demotivate u even further since no matter how hard u try, u would still get that bad results since it's the 'future'. U can't change the future, can u?

Or another example, u see urself dead in 2 days cause of an accident.. Wouldn't that make ur mood just gone since u know u will die within 2 days?

So, of course, it's better to live in the present. Personally, I think worrying about ur future (not knowing) do helps as it will motivate u to do better for ur own future. At least that is for me. Rather than adopting a don't care attitude and just live life as it is, might as well I work hard for my future. At least there's a goal to achieve.

ah^kam_koko' said...

We want to know the future because humans are naturally lazy.
We want to skip all the difficult parts & take the easiest way out.

You're right. We should spend more time on living in the present. =)

Crystal said...

I think the pursuit of being present - appreciating the beauty of the here and now - is a never-ending one. But a worthy and definitely fulfilling one. :) I could definitely learnt to be more present, especially as someone alwaysss looking forward to the future and the next big thing! Love your recent posts btw. Sounds like you're doing a lot of living and learning over there :) Keep it up and warm hugs and sunshine from over here! x